Thursday, 22 December 2011

Christmas Part I (and and birthday in the mix)

On Wed 14th, I left for a week away at Hungerford with the Frenkels. Myriam is also studying at Oxford so I got a lift with her from her father, Louis. Three of Averil’s nephews and their families were coming over for an early Christmas celebration on Sunday so they had invited me to spend some time with them and join them for the Christmas lunch. On the way to Hungerford we drove through some sleet which was very nearly snow, except that it wasn’t settling on the ground. The next morning I woke up to more sleet falling, but by the time I was dressed and could get outside to investigate, it had stopped.

On Friday, Myriam invited me to join her on a river barge for which she is a volunteer. The barge raises money for charity and so they were running a trip for parents to bring their children to “meet Santa”. The children all got a gift from Santa and we served hot drinks and mince pies. I got to be one of “Santa’s helpers”, and had find and pass him the named gifts for each child. It was quite fun watching them come in to “Santa’s grotto” with their parents to chat with him, though many of them were rather frightened of the strange man in the red coat with a white beard; and some even started crying. They were all under 4 years old, so I imagine he was a little intimidating. He was very good with them, though, asking them if they’d been good (which somehow every single one had – even the parents agreed) and if they’d sent him their lists. Those who hadn’t, he invited to email him, since the post might not get to the North Pole on time. The most interesting gift requests were a vacuum cleaner and a “kitchen”, from two separate little girls.

The Barge - Rose of Hungerford
Interior
Rev Andrew Sawyer - Cap'n
Santa's Grotto











I spent much of Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning helping Averil get things ready for the Christmas lunch on Sunday. Somehow we managed to fit everyone around the two tables though there were times when it seemed an impossible task.

The lunch itself was lovely. As they are vegetarian we had a vegetable pasta dish, roast potatoes, broccoli and carrots and vegetarian “sausages” and “turkey”. There were 6 children under 9 including a three-month old baby boy. They were all very well behaved and adorably cute.

Table setting
Starters - melon
Happy family
Main course











On Sunday evening I went to town to take some photos of the Christmas street lighting. Then we went to the Church next door for The Mayor of Hungerford’s Carol service in which Averil and Myriam were singing in the Choir. I got to shake the Mayor’s hand (nearly walked straight past him >.<) and  sat next to a lady who told Myriam afterwards that she was sure I was going to die of pneumonia because I’ve come all the way from South Africa. The fact that I started and couldn’t stop sneezing during the service may have had something to do with it.

Shop street decorations
Town tree
Town hall
The Church








 

After we got home, Myriam asked me if I watched Doctor Who. I told her that I’d never seen any but only because it’s rather hard to get hold of in SA and has never been shown by SABC (not even the old episodes). I mentioned that I do have a lot of Narniac friends who love it and are forever talking about it, and that I probably would enjoy it when I eventually got to see some. Turns out she has the whole first season of the modern series on DVD, so we watched the first episode together and she had lent me the rest to watch in my own time.

On Monday, I spent time in town looking at a large second hand book shop in the “Arcade”. I put my handbag down in one of the antique stores and spent a good half hour trying to retrace my steps to find it. I did eventually. Averil had woken up with a sore neck on Sunday and it was worse on Monday, so she spent most of the day lying down. Louis ordered some very nice take-away Indian food for supper. On Tuesday Averil was going to take me back to Oxford, but she was in no condition to drive so I took the train back.

In all, it was a really enjoyable week, though I was glad to be back in Oxford for my birthday yesterday.

It’s been much warmer here (and elsewhere) since I got back. We’ve even hit double digits the last two days. Although that dashes my hopes for a white Christmas, at least it’s predicted to be a warm one, perhaps even with some sunshine.

Yesterday, I got to open my birthday presents with my family over skype, and then some of my linguistics coursemates (Maryanna, Lara and Patrick) came over for tea, puff-pastry mince pies and hedgehog cake. I was going to buy one of the Hugo Hedgehog cakes from Sainsbury’s, but both the nearest branches were out of stock so I got Harry the hedgehog from Marks & Spencers instead (thanks to Maryanna for pointing out that they sold them).

               


I had thought of going out for dinner for my birthday, but decided to get a pizza instead. Looking at the pizzas at Tesco’s (I figured I’d rather spend time cooking it in the comfort of my own house than waiting in a crowded take-away joint which would cost double and was further to walk and would be cold by the time I got home), and found a Quiche Lorraine instead. It was really yummy and was finished off with some more Harry the hedgehog cake and custard while chatting to my friends on TLC.

Tomorrow I leave for London (my first time in London :-D) and I’ll be spending my second Christmas weekend with Sarah Docksey (a friend of Pamella Thabete’s, a friend from my home church).
While I’ve gotten over the sneezes and runny nose I had in Hungerford, I’m coughing quite a lot, so prayer would be appreciated.

MAY YOU ALL HAVE A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!

No comments:

Post a Comment